Click here to continue.
Click here to continue.
EXAMPLE. John __________ not here today.
The correct answer is: 'is'.
1. The house was locked, so __________ could get in.
2. Some people have difficulty in making __________ understood.
3. I __________.
stay often in bed late on Sundays
often stay on Sundays late in bed
often stay in bed late on Sundays
stay often late in bed on Sundays
4. __________ I know you very well, I'll tell you a secret.
5. You look __________ a ghost.
like you see
as though to see
as if you had seen
6. I don't think I'll come with you tomorrow.
OK, but let me know if you __________ .
move your opinion
change your mind
alert your mind
7. __________ to see the new offices yet?
Have you had a chance
Did you get the possibility
Have you got the occasion
Do you get the opportunity
8. The English __________ when meeting for the first time.
give the hand
offer the hand
9. The bus has gone. Can you __________ home?
make me a ride
give me a lift
pick me up
10. My car's __________ . I must take it to the garage.
out of order
11. The sky is black. It looks __________ rain.
12. They closed the door to stop the dog __________ escaping.
13. I'd like to thank you __________ what you have done.
14. I've forgotten __________ everything I was told.
15. I'm longing __________ the end of winter.
16. Which verb has the same pattern as 'swim', 'ring' and 'drink'?
17. Three of the verbs stay the same in the past, like put-put. Which one changes?
18. Three of the verbs stay the same in the past, like put-put. Which one changes?
19. __________ already left by the time I arrived.
20. Will you __________ take a holiday this year?
be able to
be capable to
21. PRIVATE KEEP OUT
You __________ go in there.
don't have to
haven't got to
22. They made __________ them everything.
that she told
her to tell
23. Why __________ come with you?
I am not able to
am I not capable to
24. Ask him how __________ .
does it work
it does work
25. I last saw John __________ .
before about three months
about three months ago
it was about three months
there was about three months
EXAMPLE 1: How are you?
Very well, thank you.
Twenty-one years old.
The answer is: 'Very well, thank you.'.
The answer is: 'What's the time?'
26. I'm going to steal a car.
You'd better not!
You'd rather not!
You're better not!
27. Stop laughing!
I can't __________.
do anything against it!
28. When's it going to stop raining?
I wish __________.
to stop it!
29. It's going to rain.
__________ take my coat, then.
It's good if I
What about I
30. What are you doing?
It doesn't touch you.
It's none of your business.
You don't enter at all.
Look after your own affairs.
John goes to the cinema twice a week, and to the theatre once a week. He
stays in on the other nights, except for Sundays, when he goes to his
mother's for dinner.
How many times a week does John go out?
impossible to say
The correct answer is: 'four times'.
My cousin Bianca is a motor mechanic. She works in a busy garage
in the middle of the town, about five minutes' walk from home. She likes
everything about the job, except for the fact that she can never seem
to get completely clean at the end of the day. All the other mechanics,
except for the supervisor, are men. She gets on with everyone very well,
although she occasionally has trouble with the customers who think
that, being a woman, she cannot be a good mechanic. As it happens, she
is considered by most of her workmates to be the best mechanic in the
garage. Her husband Gianni is the accountant and works at the Company
head office, which is just outside the town.
31. What Bianca dislikes about working in the garage is that
she doesn't get on with the supervisor
all the other mechanics are men
it's quite dirty work
the garage is a long way from the centre
32. Which of the following statements about Bianca is true?
She works for the same firm as her husband
She and her husband work in the same place
She has farther to travel to work than her husband
She and Gianni have the same jobs
33. Most of her fellow-workers think that Bianca
isn't as good as they are.
is very popular.
shouldn't be a mechanic.
is a very good mechanic.
34. Which of these statements about Gianni is true?
He works in the town centre.
He lives close to his work.
He doesn't work in the garage.
He is popular with the customers.
35. Which of these think that Bianca cannot be a good mechanic?
Some of her male colleagues.
Most of her workmates.
A few customers.
The correct answer is: 'choose'.